Cranberry, Prune & Pear

IMG_1810

I've been trying to balance out the tartness of cranberries without using sugar
and prunes immediately came to mind.

Originally this puree was just prunes and cranberry and Peanut really liked it.
I mean, he wanted to eat a lot of it.
I started to think that maybe instead of him eating mass quantities of prunes, 
I should add a bit of pear to the mix.

The result is very tasty and super easy.

Don't rule prunes out, they are naturally sweet and good for baby.
I guarantee they are delicious, just give them a try.

Picnik collage

You know, I never realized how much sugar goes into cranberry sauce.
I like mine out of the can.
Specifically the jellied kind that still looks like the can when you put it on the plate.

I could eat a can by myself over the course of the evening.
I love it.  Is that weird?

I wonder if I have any in my cupboard?
Anyway, it wasn't until I tried straight simmered cranberries until I started looking to see how much
sugar gets added when you make cranberry sauce.
Crazy!

Picnik collage

Cranberry, Prune & Pear

1 cup, packed prunes
1 cup cranberries
3 pears, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks

Place your prunes in a medium saucepan with just enough water to cover.
Add your cranberries and then add your pears.
Cover your pot and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and
simmer until all the cranberries are popped, and the prunes and pears are fork tender.
Allow to cool for a moment and puree.

Enjoy!


*Variations
-Add cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, allspice or ginger
-Replace the prunes with unsulfured apricots
-Use apples instead of pears
-Add a little rosemary to thyme

*Storage
-Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months

*Benefits
Cranberries have tons of antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C and manganese.
They are great for the urinary tract as they prevent bacteria from sticking to the lining.

Pears are full of vitamins like C, E, K and B2 as well as potassium and fiber.

Prunes are high in fiber, vitamins A & C, potassium, iron and tons of antioxidants.


Tell me.... how do you like to eat cranberries?
Relish?  Sauce?  In a tart?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips