Spinach Pesto

 

We like pesto of all kinds around here.  Basil, cilantro, carrot greens, we eat it all.
I use it in eggs, as a spread, with pasta, grilled cheese, you name it.

We were at a party and Peanut kept eating all my spanakopita, then a few days later I saw a version of spinach pesto on pinterest.  I seemed like a sign to me.

Peanut loves his greens but I'll use any excuse to add spinach to their diets anyway.

Picnik collage 

Spinach Pesto
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup basil
1/4 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup cashews
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Place everything in your food processor and puree.
Notice that I started in a blender and ended up transferring to my food processor :)
Enjoy!


*Variations
-Serve this on pasta or mix it in your eggs
-Add to a little mayo or hummus for a nice spread
-Try this with different nuts like walnut, pecan, pine nuts, almonds, etc
-Use walnut or other healthy oils
-Use parmesan or asiago cheese

*Storage
Refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.

*Benefits
Spinach has lots of calcium, selenium, magnesium, folic acid, iron and vitamins, A, C, D and K (which helps your body absorb calcium).  Spinach is fantastically good for you.

Feta is lower in fat than most cheeses and is a great source of calcium.

Cashews are high in monounsaturated fat (the healthy kind) as well as being rich in magnesium, calcium, phosphates, potassium, copper and selenium with a good dose of protein and fiber.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is also mainly monounsaturated fats (the healthy kind of fat) as well as being high in vitamins A, D, K and E.

1 comment:

  1. i like to cook Spanish dishes more often than not and you just nailed it with this recipe. I am very much sure that my family would love eating this. Nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips