Carrot & Parsnip

IMG_3430

I love parsnips for many reasons. They look like an albino carrot but differ in both taste and texture. 

The flavor of a parsnip is very sweet with a bit of spice that I love.  I can't put my finger on it but the spice reminds me of cinnamon? Cardamom?  Cooked parnsips also mash or puree easily.

IMG_3411

Parsnips are very high in folate, calcium, potassium and fiber.  All of these factors and you have a perfect candidate for baby food.
Peel and then slice 2 or 3 carrots and 2 or 3 parsnips.  Steam the slices until tender.  This took me about 15-20 minutes.  Poke them with a fork to see if they are soft enough to mash.  Reserve cooking liquid in case you would like to use it to thin down the puree.  Place them in a food processor and blend or mash by hand. 

I decided to steam them separately so that I also had plain parsnip puree for Peanut.

IMG_3421

You can blend the carrots and parsnips together in the processor or mix them together by hand.

*Storage:  Place in an airtight container.  Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Don't overlook parsnip in your cooking at home.  We love them roasted and they also add a great flavor to mashed potatoes.

Have you had parsnip before?  How do you use them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips