Simple Winter Squash

IMG_5007


I thought we should really kick off summer by featuring a recipe for winter squash!  Yay!

Your winter squash are the hard shell squash like butternut squash, spaghetti squash and acorn.  I used acorn for this recipe simply because I have no idea if I would be able to cut a butternut squash without taking off at least one appendage.  I usually have B cut the squash because I'm pretty accident prone.  

I've read that you can partially cook a squash and then cut it.  
When I try that I will get back to you on the result.

Acorn squash is much more manageable.  And it's so tasty too!

IMG_4993

Basic Winter Squash
1 acorn squash 
(look for a heavy squash with smooth skin and no dents or holes)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Take a large, sharp chef's knife and cut your squash in half.  
I got stuck halfway thru.  What can I say... I have mush in the place of muscles.
If you are like me, you can use a rubber mallet to very carefully continue your cut.
Or I can send B to your house to cut your squash.
OR maybe you do have muscles, in which case I say, would you like to come cut squash for me?

Scoop out the stringy flesh and seeds and discard (although I wish I would have baked my seeds)
Place your acorn squash, cut sides down on a baking sheet.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.
The skins will be soft and easily pierced with a fork.
Let your squash cool and blend or mash to your desired consistency, adding water as needed.

This puree turns out so smooth and creamy, it is absolutely delicious.

IMG_4994

Do you see how the back half of the squash looks like it started to decay in the oven?
It didn't.

Those are fork marks where we were eating it hot out of the oven.
For a minute I thought about adding butter and real maple syrup, eating it 
and making baby food another day.

But then I remembered that Peanut needed some veggies made.

Motherhood can be such a nuisance :)

IMG_5002

*Variations
-Add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
-Puree with 2 baked or steamed apples or pears
-Use unsweetened apple or pear juice to puree
-Use as a thickener for other fruit or veggie purees
-Substitute with butternut squash
~Serve this for your dinner! Instead of water add a pat of butter and some milk.
Use the squash by itself or mashed with potatoes~

*Storage
Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months

*Benefits
Acorn squash is not surprisingly full of healthy fiber but it is also packed with potassium and iron.
Butternut squash has tons of vitamin A and beta-carotene.


~I have a new page/tab up top featuring pictures of Dandy Babies!
If you have a picture of your baby eating a Dandy Baby recipes and would like me to include it, 
please email me at dandy7321@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips