Fig & Apple


Figs?

Here's the thing about figs.  

Yes, I've had them as an occasional accompaniment to a cheese platter 
but usually they are dried and it's just the tiniest portion.

For the most part when I think fig... I think Newton.

I know that's horrible but it's true.

IMG_8572

Besides, have you seen how expensive fresh figs can be?

So when my friend Kelly pointed out her insanely large and beautiful fig tree, 
I jumped at the chance to steal some.

She sent me home with a bag and I started looking for things to do with them.

I didn't think stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon would work for Peanut... yet.

So I mixed them with apples and it's a fantastic blend.

Picnik collage

Fig & Apple

6 ripe figs, stems removed, quartered
1 apple, peeled, cored, cut into chunks

Wash your figs thoroughly and make sure the stems are removed before cutting.
One of mine was really tough on top so I just cut the very tip off.
Add your figs and apple to a food processor and puree.

At this point it tastes fine and you could certainly serve it as is.
You'll notice the puree is pale with bits of that dark skin throughout.

However, I went a step further and placed this in a small pot over medium heat.
Cook it, stirring occasionally until those flecks of skin soften and the color bleeds into the puree.
The flavor, sweetness and even color really deepens with a bit of cooking.

Enjoy!

~Don't worry about the seeds, they are so small they aren't a choking hazard
 but they do add an interesting mouthfeel.~



*Variations
-This would be great with seasonings like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
-Add a bit of mint 
-Mix with pureed prunes or apricot
-Add it to plain yogurt or cottage cheese

*Storage
Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

*Benefits

Apples are loaded with fiber, vitamins C, beta-carotene, riboflavin, thiamin, potassium,
phosphorus and calcium. 

Figs have loads of fiber, calcium, magnesium and potassium.

3 comments:

  1. Oh YAY!!! So glad you were able to come up with something for Peanut. Did he like it?

    And yes, I have 1,000 more figs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just gave my little apple and fig and he loved it! My first Dandy Baby recipe! I have a picture I'll be sending you too :) Now i'm off to do blueberries and banana. I have a freezer full of fresh blueberries that I was able to get from a friend with a blueberry farm. Perks of living in the Central Valley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I was pleasantly surprised the moment I loaded this web page of your blog. What was the main motivation at that moment when you followed the intention to create this portal?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips