Kiwi & Green Plum

IMG_8032

We recieved a ton of these green plums in our csa box a week or so ago.

Only I didn't know what they were.

So I brought some over to my mom's and said,
 "I brought you this fruit, only I'm not sure what it is, but they look like green plums.  What are they?"
And she said, "They're green plums."

I like to ask my mom questions like that.

She used to work as a grocery store checker so I expect her to recognize all produce.
Sometimes I call her from the grocery store and ask her what aisle to find things.
Even though she hasn't worked at a grocery store in years...
and I could probably ask someone there...
but I prefer to call home and ask things like what aisle to find canned pumpkin.

Picnik collage

Kiwi and Green Plum

2 ripe kiwis, peeled
4 ripe green plums, peeled and pitted

In order to peel your green plums simply cut an X in the bottom
and submerge them in boiling water for a few minutes.
Allow them to cool and peel the skin off.
You can see pictures of the process here.

Take 1 of the kiwis and 3 of the plums and puree or pulse in your food processor.
The puree does turn out on the runny side so,
I took the other kiwi and last plum and diced them up.
Make sure your dice is small enough (and ripe enough) for your baby to mash in his/her mouth.

Enjoy!

-You can obviously see the kiwi seeds but they're so small they don't pose a choking hazard.

IMG_8033

*Variations
-This would be fantastic with mint
-Serve this with whole milk plain yogurt or cottage cheese
-Add it to babies cereal, oatmeal or other grains
-Mash with bananas or avocado
-Add to a little chicken and rice

*Storage
Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
This does brown when it oxidizes so be sure to keep it well sealed.

*Benefits
Kiwi's have twice the vitamin C of oranges, are packed with antioxidants, magnesium, fiber and potassium.
Plums have lutein that helps with vision, vitamins C & A, fiber, potassium and riboflavin. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips